How Can We Help?
5.4 ISLAND EXPENSES
5.4.1 Travel Costs
- All officers who are posted to, and who live on an island, can claim the cost of three return trips to the mainland per year, subject to conditions.
- This will apply to any of the following, provided they are travelling with the officer:
- The officer’s co-habiting partner.
- Dependent children (who are either, under 18 years and normally reside with the officer, are in full-time education on the mainland studying for their first qualification or is disabled and normally resides with the officer).
- Any dependent over the age of 65 who is normally resident with the officer on the island.
5.4.2 Additional Travel Expenses for Specific Remote Islands
(a) Officers stationed on the Islands of Mid Yell, Unst and Whalsay, and their dependants, are entitled to one paid trip to Lerwick each calendar month. The cost of the ferry trip from the Island to the mainland of Shetland is reimbursed as well as the mileage travelled to and from Lerwick which is reimbursed.
(b) Officers stationed on either Barra or Tiree, and their dependants, are entitled to a total of three paid return trips to Oban each financial year, in addition to their concessionary travel entitlement. The cost of the ferry trip from the island to Oban is reimbursed as well as the mileage travelled to and from Oban.